Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In which the dog bites back.

As I sat in the car next to Robin in silence, the smells begin to reach me. Fear. Apprehension. Anger. Hatred. Guilt...that same smell, more overpowering than all the others. Is it ever going to leave her? Robin feels guilty for her removal of Vincents' past, her inability to save her mother and about her friendship with us, the monsters. I wondered why we were going to save Vincent if she didn't care...or does she NOT care? I want more than anything for Robin to be able to move on with her life, to be happy and free of all the terrible things that have happened to her. Vincent, her mother, Jack, the fairies...I would even remove myself if I had to. Yet sitting in the car with her was the most painful thing I've done yet. Once in a while, she'd glance over at me and meet my eyes and there'd be something there. A spark of warmth, a bit of kindness and, despite myself, I thought i saw care. Care and love.

Soon enough the ride was over and we were out in the boonies at some fancy summer home of Vincents mother, I guess. He came running out the door, followed by some weird girl and as quick as that, we had got the two of them away. Still in silence, we drove and I smelled the new scents. Vincent doesn't have the same wrong smell he had when he had the demon in him. Now he has something new. Another dark power? No, its something new, not corruption, but its nothing good if it can throw me through a car. As for the new girl, Eve, I think it was....she smells empty. I don't understand how that can be, but its almost like she's not there.

At a burger joint down the road, me and Vincent got into it, arguing away. Eve called me a puppy(really, everyone is a comedian, that joke is so old that I'm surprised it hasn't disappeared).Vincent called me a kidnapper while I called him a monster. I'm keeping the truth from him as long as I can, but eventually it will be there. I threw a punch at Vincent, but ended up hitting a police car instead. The cop gave us a stern warning and left. Just another time that Vincent gets me into trouble. He makes me sick to my stomach. Or maybe its the headache that seems to come as he gets close. He looked at Robin and I saw her eyes go unfocused before she gave him a massive punch. He tried to put the mind trick on her too! All around me, stuff begins to shake and streetlights flicker as Vincent goes all Dark Phoenix....then he's gone, blown through the air by his own power. Weird, but kinda funny at the same time. Soon enough, I realized I wasn't alone. JJ had arrived and I told him where Vinces mom was. The vampire boss, right there for the taking. And Jack said it was time for us to take her down. I realized that to do this, I'd have to go with them and leave Robin behind, but she was with that nasty alien goddess and the new girl, so she would be fine. I gazed longingly after her before I climbed onto the back of JJ's bike and we rode off.

Vincent had killed Robins mom, all for love of some demon creature inside him. He had become addicted to the power, he had come to love it and he let it overtake him. I had failed Robin that day. I wasn't quick enough to save her mother. Jack got in the way before I could stop Vincent from doing any worse damage and she got survivors guilt when it was me who was at fault. I had grabbed a butcher knife from cooking class before we left the school(they're making pad thai, they won't miss one knife). Its sharp. I'm sure Natalie will appreciate it.






No comments:

Post a Comment