Thursday, May 8, 2014

I'm cold....

I went home alone.Robin needed to return to Jack. I'm not sure how she felt about what happened last night. I was woken up by a knock at the door way too early. Leanne was there, the fairy girl who Chantelle had been banging. She said she wanted to walk me to school. I accepted, though I was way too tired for it. As we walked, we talked about things. I didn't know how much Chantelle had told her in their pillow talk, but she made it clear that we'd talk again. Then Israel showed up and accused me of making new friends, rather coldly in fact. I told him it was none of his business and I supposed it would be easier if I cut them in half or set them on fire. Israel looked guilty, but he gave me a look that made me think of his supposed "divine retribution"from the night in the club where he had turned all Sephiroth on me. Israel is dangerous.

In class, I wanted to know the truth behind the fairies, but my coin was snatched by Leanne, who I warned about the last person who'd taken it, whose face had been demolished by the park bench. Before she had grabbed it, I saw blood and flood, violence and danger. All coming to us soon.

I went to Robins event "Teens Need Truth". Robin spoke partway through of wanting to go to the city hall and deal with Natalie. I agreed, trying to think of a time when I could speak to her about Natalies run in with me. Not in school. I'm not stupid. 

At the city hall, I learned what Natalie meant to do. A law. A new law making supernaturals citizens. Natalie mentioned our little spat with the knife and Robin looked shocked. She went to make a call and soon returned, grabbing my hand and that of that girl Eve and dragging us to the fire escape. Natalie blocked our way, but Robin decked her. Robin seemed scared and we were halfway down the alley when Eve grabbed Robin and slammed her into the wall. 

I stood there, shocked, unable to comprehend. She hit Robin. She....hit....Robin. I felt the wolf in me stir as I made my own attack, punching out at Eve. Robin was on her feet in an instant and leapt into the way. I felt my heart shatter as I saw her take the hit and stand there, unyielding. Eve was attacking her and Robin was standing in my way like I was using my power to attack a helpless bunny. Eve gloatingly smiled at me behind Robins back and I begged Robin to step aside. Robin refused and I saw something I had never seen in her eyes before. Rage. Murderous unfeeling rage. And I knew I had to knock her out and get her out of there or she would not stop hunting me.

I tried, but I had taught her well. She knew how to dodge, how to duck, how to feint and attack. Soon enough, the wolves had surrounded us. But so had a gang of Natalies vampires. And Robin wouldn't back down. I was proud of her, but also hurt. We had been friends. We had laughed and talked, been there for each other and spent one night together. Now she thought I was trying to kill Eve because I was a wolf? Wrong. I wanted to kill Eve because of that smell. That empty, hollow smell, like the inside of a coffee can, bitter and cold. Then thunder struck. I realized why Robin had wanted to leave. That troll. That huge fucking troll was there and he slammed his hulk hands into me. I felt my body change, defending itself the only way it knew how. I had kept it in since the club and now, because of Robin and Eve and Bonesnapper, it was free. Robin was knocked flying, but I was past caring for anything but my own strength and power. My claws weren't nearly sharp enough to pierce his hide and my wolves were failing at beating Eve, (whose jokes were the same as always.WEAK!), so I showed my belly falsely, pretending to fall in line and I followed Bonesnapper, a scavenge for the moment. Waiting for another chance to deal with the beast....

No comments:

Post a Comment