Wednesday, February 12, 2014

This Bites.

Okay, let's talk about it. The night this story begins for me. It was July 2013. Back where I lived in Burlington.

Life was pretty simple then. The suburbs were nice. I had friends, a life, but not enough money for high school. I had my silver coin and my very best friend. Allison. She had dirty blonde hair, a sweetness that not many people have and she...made me happy. She always wore a gold chain everywhere she went. It was something I had given her on her last birthday.

During the summer there, there was a rabid dog....or wolf....going all around the neighbourhoods. It was mauling and killing peoples pets, ripping up lawns, really sick shit. Some people though the dog was just a bunch of sickos pulling a prank or torturing the pets. Late at night, because hell knows my mom wouldn't be happy about me sneaking out. Allison and me search around and we find this dog. Only it's not a dog. Allison....got hurt. Badly hurt. And this thing bites me too. And then it runs away. Me and Allison get ourselves patched up in secret. A few days later, you know what happens. The moon shows and I run around town. Of course, with my size, the people who saw me thought I was a lion rather than a wolf(werewolf, it's still so weird to me).

Let me tell you, the change was PAINFUL. Think of your ribs expanding in your chest, every bone in your face contorting to make longer jaws and sharper teeth, your nails stretching and sharpening into clawed talons, every pore sprouting fur, your feet bending and stretching to make those clawed canine paws. But it's powerful. Really damn powerful. I could leap across rooftops, claw my way up walls, swim in extremely cold water. The only downside was hearing about it the next morning. Realizing all the animals or people you hurt for the pursuit of freedom as the wolf. You're free of your inhibitions in your wolf form, you want nothing but the hunt, the chase, the kill. I knew the best idea to follow. Find a way to lock myself in so I couldn't lash out. Hide from the world until I could control it. Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who was a wolf.


 Allison had found the transformation quite similarly, only she had decided she LIKED the killing. I had always wondered if I could track down the creature that had bitten us, that it would break the curse, set us free and make us go back to the people we had been before. Allison changed. In all ways. Both sides of her were set free by the wolf. We fought in her room, first with words, then fists, then with claws. She got me a few times(I still bear the scars)but neither of us were going down. Finally, I used the only thing I could think of. The gold chain that lay on her bed. It was something she never took off, no matter what. I put it around her neck and strangled her with it. It burned my hands like acid, but I refused to let go until she changed back. Only, when she did....it was too late for me to break her curse. She lay naked, frail, dead. There was nothing left of the wolf in her.

The cops asked questions to me, but they could find nothing out. I had a record, but there was no proof and me and Allison had always been friends. So when they buried her, I cried, because I knew who was at fault. Not the beast in me, but me in the beast.

Then it came. The acceptance letter. A school in Toronto. A chance at a new life. Cash flowed in. Who from, I don't know, but I'm hoping whoever it is isn't feeling stiffed. I now go to school here and I feel...lonely most of the time. I mean, that's normal at first. Smoking is my bad habit(better than drugs or hunting the neighbourhood pets, right?) and I do it often to cut out the scents that bombard me from a hundred different sources. I can sense a lot without the smokes. But one of the girls......I can't cut out her scent. And so I've followed her around a few times, always out of sight. I know a lot about her. I shouldn't, but why can't I stop thinking about her?


Her name is Robin.



No comments:

Post a Comment